BETHANY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
EMERGENCY SUPPLY KIT CHECKLIST FOR THE HOME
During a weather related emergency, keep in mind that it may take time for Bethany, State and CL&P Emergency personnel to assess the damage, get the needed materials, supplies and equipment into the affected area; this includes electricity being out, roads blocked and roaming animals in your neighborhood.
The following is a suggested list of essentials to have available in your residence in the event of a weather related emergency. You may need to modify to fit your own individual and family needs. We recommend that you use a plastic container(s) that keeps out moisture and extends the shelf life. Store in a “easy to grab” location.
* Water – 1 gallon per person per day – minimum 3 days (drinking & sanitation)
Remember – In most Bethany neighborhoods no power = no water
* Food – non-perishable food (i.e. can goods, dry cereals, boxed/canned milk, dry cereals, juices, snack foods. Don’t forget manual can opener, camp type stove (propane and matches) and paper/plastic plates, forks, knives, spoons etc.-3 days
* Battery-powered/hand cranked radio, NOAA weather radio with tone alert battery powered lights (no candles) – extra batteries.
* Flashlight and extra batteries – 1 for each person/Tool Kit
* First Aid Kit, hand sanitizer, moist towelettes/baby wipes, toilet paper, feminine supplies, plastic bags for personal sanitation and hearing aid batteries
* Whistle to signal for help – 1 for each person
* Photocopies of ID (drivers’ license, credit cards, birth certificates), insurance certificates, extra cash (dollars and coins – suggested $200.00), drug & eyeglass prescriptions and local maps – photos of family and family with pets
* Extra set of keys to house and autos, Fill auto with fuel prior to event.
* Infants items – formula, diapers, medicines/games & activities for kids
* Pets – proof of immunization, license, ID, collar, lease and cage if
needed-Remember to have enough water and food for them too!
* N-95 Dust masks, plastic sheeting and duck tape
* Copy of evacuation, communication plan – Remember to check in on your elderly/disabled neighbors if you can and have a plan in place for them too.
BETHANY OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
Emergency Shelter Supply Checklist
During a weather related or other type of emergency situation, it may be necessary for you and your family to evacuate to a shelter until it is safe to return to your home.
The following is a suggested list of essentials to have packed and ready to go in the event of such an emergency. You may need to modify to fit your own individual and family needs. Please have a secure money pouch that can be attached to your person to reduce the chance of theft. Additionally, you can use a duffle bag (for the family), or a backpack (1 for each person). Remember to store your evacuation bags in the closet by your front door for ease of access and to activate your emergency evacuation, communication plans.
* Extra clothing (take into consideration weather conditions)
* Blanket and pillow
* Flashlight and extra batteries, Charger for your cell phone and laptop computer.
* Comfort Kit, hand sanitizer, moist towelettes, toilet paper, feminine supplies, hearing aid batteries, etc.
* Shower Supplies including Towel(s), Shampoo, Soap, Shower Shoes etc.
* Photocopiesof ID (drivers’ license, credit cards, birth certificates), insurance certificates, extra cash (dollars and coins – suggested $200.00), drug & eyeglass prescriptions and
extra paid of eyeglasses – photos of family and family with pets
* Extra set of keys to house and autos
* Infants items – formula, diapers, medicines/Games & activities for kids
*Pets – Food, proof of immunization, license, ID, collar, leash and cage if needed
* Copy of family evacuation and communication plan
*Prescriptions in original containers – Cell phones and chargers
*If you are a person with special medical needs or use special medical equipment, register with the Bethany Fire Department. Be sure you have made arrangement for a place to go if necessary that
provide you with the needed assistance due to your particular special medical needs if your medical condition requires such care. Special needs individuals requiring caregivers should arrange for that person to be in attendance at the shelter. Shelter volunteers are not qualified to provide this type of care.
*Elderly Bethany residents need to register with the Bethany Human Services Department so we can have an complete record that would enable us to check on your status in the event of a declared